- May 2018 - I received the UIC College of Engineering Teaching Award.
- April 2018 - My student Hongyi Zhu passed his Ph.D. Thesis Defense. Congrats Dr. Zhu!
- February 2018 - My students Seiran Khaledian received the Provost's award for Spring 2018.
- January 2018 - I would like to acknoledge the Illinois Ventures support - Proof of Concept - "Inherent Self-interference Cancellation For In band Full-duplex Wireless Communications".
- August 2017 - I would like to acknoledge the DoD support - instrumentation grant - "Three Birds with One Stone: High-Frequency Instrumentation for Semiconductor Device Characterization, Radar and Communication System Measurements".
- May 2017 - My student Konstantin Muranov passed his Ph.D. Preliminary Exam.
- April 2017 - My students Seiran Khaledian and Farhad Farzami were awarded scholarships from the Chicago Chapter of the IEEE Electromagnetic Compatibility Society.
- December 2016 - My student Hongyi Zhu passed his Ph.D. Preliminary Exam.
- November 2016 - invited talk "A Power-Efficient Implementation of In-Band Full-Duplex Communication System (ReflectFX)" in International Symposium on signal, Image, Video and Communications 2016 in Tunis, Tunisia.
- September 2016 - Co-organizer of IEEE ITSOC Shannon centennial workshop.
- May 2016 - I would like to acknowledge UIC College Of Engineering support - grant #1 "ComRaDe : A fully-integrated Communication, Ranging and Detection system" and grant #2 "On the art of communicating highly reliable short packets with low latency".
- December 2015 - invited talk "Full-duplex Communication by means of reflected power" in the third Arab-American Frontiers of Science, Engineering, and Medicine symposium.
- August 2015 - awarded the INSIGHT Into Diversity Magazine's 2015 "Inspiring Women in STEM" Award.
- August 2015 - I joined University of Illinois in Chicago (UIC) as an Associate Professor.
- May 2015 - keynote talk at Purdue University Research day.
- February 2015 - nominated for Outstanding Faculty Scholar Award 2015.
- January 2015 - I would like to acknowledge NSF's support -- NSF CAREER:
Full-duplex wireless networks by means of reflected power: Theory and applications
- January 2015 - I would like to acknowledge NSF's support -- NSF REU:
Sustainable wireless communication.
- April 2014 - My student Shajid Islam received PUC Sigma Xi Student Research Award for his research on "Full-duplex wireless communication based on backscatter amplification".
- March 2014 - invited seminar entitled "Full-duplex Communication by means of reflected power" to University of Illinois in Chicago (UIC).
- March 2014 - invited seminar to Harris Corporation Melbourne, FL.
- January 2014 - invited seminar entitled "Network HARQ feedback" to Purdue University (WL).
- December 2013 - filed my first provisional patent application "Full-duplex Communication with Backscatter Modulation".
- November 2013 - I would like to acknowledge National Science and Engineering Research Council of Canada NSERC's support -- new collaborative research and development grant.
- November 2013 - invited talk at the Workshop on Sequential and Adaptive Information Theory, Montreal, Canada.
- October 2013 - Excellence in Sponsored Grants at Purdue University Calumet for the most external funding at the
campus level, 2013.
- July 2013 - I would like to acknowledge NSF's support -- first grant CIF Small:
Optimizing Feedback in two-way communications
- May 2013- I would like to acknowledge Purdue Research Foundation's support -- Summer Faculty Grant.
- March 2012 - invited seminar entitled "Coding to reduce the Peak Interference to Carrier Ratio of OFDM signals" to University of Illinois in Chicago (UIC).
- February 2012 - invited seminar entitled "Near Shannon limit low Peak to Average Power Ratio Turbo Block Coded OFDM" to Virginia Tech.
- January 2012 - invited seminar at the Interactive Information Theory Workshop, banff, Canada.
- November 2011 - invited seminar entitled "Near Shannon limit low Peak to Average Power Ratio Turbo Block Coded OFDM" to Illinois Institute of Technology (IIT).
I am an Associate Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering at University of Illinois at Chicago. From 2009 to 2015, I was a Visiting and then Tenure-Track Assistant Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering at Purdue University Norhwest. From 2006 to 2009, I was a Lecturer/Postdoctoral fellow at the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences, Harvard University. From 1999 to 2002, I was a Research Engineer in the Technology Evolution and Standards group of Microcell, Inc (now ROGERS Wireless), Montreal, surveying and studying radio-communication technology evolution. I also took part in major wireless normalization committees (3GPP, T1P1). In 1998 and 2006 I obtained a M.Sc. and Ph. D. from The University of Quebec (INRS-EMT), Montreal, Canada. Previously, I received the Diplome d'Ingenieur degree in telecommunications from The Ecole Superieure des Communications de Tunis (SUPCOM), Tunisia,
My research work is mainly focused in the areas of Wireless Communication Theory. I am the recipient of the Academic Gold Medal of the Governor General of Canada in 2007 and the NSF CAREER award in 2015.
Department of Defense (DoD) grant (co-PI) of $600,000 over the period 02/04/2017 to 01/06/2018
NSF REU site (co-PI) of $325,864 over the period 02/01/2015 to 01/31/2018
Illinois Ventures - Proof of Concept (PI) of $50,000 over the period 01/03/2018 to 06/01/2018
Two UIC College of Engineering grants of $30,000 and $15,000 over the period 05/16/2016 to 05/15/2017
Lead Guest Editor of the Journal on Selected Areas in Communications (JSAC)--Special Issue on Emerging Technologies in Tactile Internet and Backhaul/Fronthaul networks, 2018
Associate Editor of IEEE Communication Letters since Feb. 2016
Publicity Co-chair for 2018 IEEE Communication Theory Workshop.
Member IEEE ComSoc Emerging Technologies Committee
Co-organizer of IEEE ITSOC
Shannon centennial workshop on September 2016
Senior Member of the Institute of Electrical and
Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
Chair of IEEE Women in Engineering (WIE), Chicago section(WIE) from 2010 to 2013
Panelist for National Science Foundation, Reviewer, TPC chair, TPC member and Session chair of several IEEE/IEE conferences and journals